Want to impress your friends and family with a restaurant-quality salad, with minimal effort? This salad is best made and served fresh, and only takes 5 minutes to whip together. The greens used are extremely high in nutrients (both are ranked near the very top of Time Magazine’s Superfoods list), and the toppings are high in protein. Even my 91-year old ‘salad-skeptic’ Nana asks for seconds of this salad!
This recipe makes 4 dinner plate-sized appetizer portions, or 8 smaller side portions.
Can be easily doubled for larger groups.
- 1 bunch spinach, cut from stems
- 1 bunch chicory, roughly cut up. If you can’t find chicory, substitute 1 package baby kale)
- 1/4 cup dry roasted almonds
- Roughly 2 square inch chunk of Parmesan (I like Parmigiano-Reggiano), cut into about 4 pieces
- 2 cloves peeled garlic
- 3 sundried tomatoes, cut up coarsely with a pair of scissors
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 TBL red wine vinegar
Wash greens, and place them in a large serving bowl.
In a small food processor (a big one will work too, but just not as well), blend almonds coarsely. You don’t want big chunks, but you don’t want dust either. Pour blended almonds on top of salad.
Without cleaning processor (don’t worry about crumbs mixing), put parmesan in, and blend a bit finer than the almonds. Pour on top of salad.
Again, without cleaning processor, put garlic, sun-dried tomato pieces, olive oil, and red wine vinegar in. Blend until smooth. Use a spatula to get all of the dressing onto the salad.
Mix well, and serve!
* Not dog related, but related to the previous post — and way too tasty not to share!